Sunday, June 9, 2013

48 Hour Book Challenge: Checking In

This weekend I'm participating in the 48 hour book challenge (#48hbc) hosted this year at Ms. Yingling Reads.  Last year was my first year to participate in this event started by Mother Reader.  I found it to be the perfect kick-off to summer pleasure reading.

I started at about 10 o'clock Friday evening.  So far I have logged 541 minutes - about 9 hours - read 3 books, went through one box of tissues, and eaten quite a bit of buffalo chicken dip!  I've even managed to do 5 loads of laundry within this time.  My goal is to beat my time last year of 754 minutes (which looks pretty easy to do right now).

Here's what I've read so far:

One for the Murphys by Lynda Hunt:  Karen TerleckyLiterate Lives, first put this book on my radar.  In this story, Carley is placed in a foster home after some difficulties with her mom and her mom's new husband.  Life with the Murphys is very different from the life she is used to with her own mom.  Carley sees what life can be like living with Murphys, and begins to see that she has the power to make it better.  It wasn't the ending I hoped for, but it was probably the ending it needed to be.  Yep, shed a few tears here.




One Summer by David Baldacci:  Yep, I needed tissues for this one too.  This isn't Baldacci's typical work.  I loved his book Wish You Well, and was excited to see this one on the shelf.  This story begins with Jack, father of three - husband to his high school sweetheart, Lizzie - about to die of a rare cancer when the story takes a tragic turn.  The tragedy is followed by a miracle and Jack works to get his family back, but being a dad isn't as easy as he had hoped especially not with teenage daughter, Mikki.  Lizzie's mother believes she is a better person to raise these three children.  Jack fights to fix relationships and keep his family together.  A beautiful story about family, true love, friendship, and faith.

One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate:  There was quite a buzz on Twitter about this book before it became the 2013 Newbery winner.  I think I knew it had to be added to my list as I listened to Katherine Sokolowski talk about how much she enjoyed it.  Finally, a year later I am getting to this book and wish I wouldn't have waited so long.

Ivan is a gorilla living in a shopping mall.  Mack owns the mall and visitors come to see him and a few other animals.  Ivan has gotten used to life in "the domain" thanks to friends Stella the elephant, Bob the dog, and Julia.  Julia is the daughter of George the custodian who takes care of the mall.  She comes every evening and sits by Ivan's home doing homework and drawing.  Ivan and Julia share a love of art and Julia gives Ivan supplies for his work.  One day, a new baby elephant, Ruby, arrives.  Ivan promises Stella he will do what he can to help Ruby have a better life.  Can Ivan come save Ruby?


2 comments:

  1. Oh my word...yes on needing all those tissues! I have been tissue free so far. But--been snacking rather alot. Seems to help stave off the need for naps. NICE on the laundry. Right now I have one in the wash, one waiting to be dried and one waiting for folding.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I know you'll beat your record from last year-I plan to start my summer reading later this week! Enjoy your reads!

    I loved reading Ivan! I couldn't put that one down!

    ReplyDelete