Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Exclamation Mark!

Have you ever had one of those read alouds where you had the class from the moment you started to read?  Exclamation Mark by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld is just that book.  From the moment I opened the book to begin to read until I closed it at the very end I had my class hanging onto every word.  I'll let the characters tell you a little about it:

?:  Have you read our book?

!:  You really should!

?:  Do you like Amy Krouse Rosenthal?
    Do you like Tom Lichtenheld?  
    Have you read their books?

!:  You should!  You really should!  

?:  Do you like books about friends?
     Do you like books with happy endings?
     Do you like books with fun characters?

!:  We're fun!  We're a lot of fun!  You should read our book!  I was so lonely until I met question mark!  Question mark helped me to be me!

?:  Did I really help you to feel better?

!:  Yes!  You are the BEST friend a punctuation mark could have!  Yes!  Yes!  Yes!







     

8 comments:

  1. I agree, Cathy, it's an absolutely terrific book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recommendation. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a great book! A really, really great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this on my to be read log on Goodreads and now I'll have to get my hands on it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crack me up! I am having this experience with Fig Pudding with my 7th graders. It's actually a bit young for them, but they love it...it's family stories and don't we all love hearing family stories?
    Thanks for sharing! I'll bet I could use this your book with middle school as well when we do punctuation...will have to get a copy.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must add this to my wish list! (Intentional use of the exclamation point.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a guest reader read this to us on World Read Aloud Day. You are right. It is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this post great? Yes! I am smiling like crazy over here because I just read this aloud to teachers last week - and we all fell in love. I am always so happy when I visit your blog, Cathy. Awesome how you just went to a conference, just like that. I have a lot to learn about those technological things...

    ReplyDelete